Monday, 15 October 2012

Not Only Text, But Video

After taking this course and writing this blog for few weeks, it inspired me a lot. I think that it provided me a chance to think more about new media. Not only does it provide us a deeper understanding towards the new media, but also let me think about the new media with many various angles. For example, I have read so many news, blogs, articles about new media and it. It trained my critical thinking to know every aspects of an issue and make up our mind that which side I should support. For this ever-changing society, can you imagine what if we don't have smartphone on our hand? Now, I think new media is positive and irreplaceable.

Instead of summarizing my blog experience by repeating the same things, I would like to share about my new insight these days. We should not only focus on the texts on new media but also the video. As we all know, Youtube is a very popular platform around the world which provides users various functions.

I would like to make the emphasis this time on the video clips that users uploaded onto the net. Before mentioning this, I would raise a question. Is it good or bad? You may have some opinion after reading this post. So, Feel free to share.



We can categorise those uploaded videos. Some of them can beneficial to our daily while some of them may reflect some negative phenomenon of the society. Let's discuss!



The most common type of video on youtube should be music videos. In regardless of the promotion strategies of those entertainment agencies, watching those music videos can provide a channel for the users  to release their emotions. It is no doubted that YouTube can be beneficial to the users to certain extent.



Due to the hectic life of Hong Kongers, it's good for them to spend more time on YouTube to serch for some relaxation. In psychological approach, it is a kind of emotion-focused coping skills to del with stress. Thus, it is essential for users to upload more or watch more funny clips that they have. It can undeniably enhance one's optimism.



Additionally, Youtube is a platform for some users who would promote themselves by uploading videos like singing or make-up workshop, etc. It's free, and it is effective. Do you have anything about yourselves that you would share? Just do it!



What's more, people can also search around the Youtube to get some knowledge or news about the society. Thus, they can have the most updated information about the world. They can also develop their independent thinking and critical thinking by searching more than one interview on each aspect. Therefore, people can know the stances on an issue from different angles and then criticise some of them which they do not agree.




For the negative aspect, I think the only disadvantage of YouTube is that there are no restriction on the content of video such as violence or pornography. Furthermore, for those who are below 18 or even younger, they can still freely browse around the youtube and access to some videos which are supposed to be watched by adults such as some disgusting cartoon in the above pic. They can watch whatever they want without any parents guidance. Hence, they cannot differentiate what is suit for them and what is not.

Any comments on what I share? Feel free:)







Here is my favourite post that I want to share which titled People Around Us? Or Machine Around Us?

And here are some comments that I have left in previous weeks.




1 comment:

  1. YouTube is world of inspirations to me. As you mentioned all kinds of stuff ranging from music covers, to political news, debates, entertainment. Of course, there would be pornography that may not be a healthy atmosphere for the society, however, its not the problem of youtube, its the society's problem.

    ReplyDelete